The Parish of Wanborough is in the United Benefice of Liddington, Wanborough, Hinton Parva and Bishopstone, in the Diocese of Bristol. The church is affiliated to the Gloucester and Bristol Diocesan Association of Church Bell Ringers and its ringers are members of the Swindon Branch.
Wanborough is situated in mainly rural surroundings in the Borough of Swindon, in north east Wiltshire. It is 3.5 miles from Swindon town centre and is 1.8 miles from Junction 15 of the M4 motorway.
The village is split into Lower and Upper Wanborough. Whilst the lower and upper village can be said to lie in open countryside, modern new housing has been built on the sloping land between which has begun to link the the two historic settlements.
There has been a church at Wanborough since no later than the 11th century and it sits on an elevated piece of land at Upper Wanborough. In 1091 it was granted by Saint Osmund to the Chapter of Salisbury. By the end of the 14th century, the advowson of Wanborough belonged to Amesbury Priory. In 1541, following the dissolution of the Monasteries, the rectory and advowson of the parish were granted to the Dean and Chapter of Winchester. In 1908 the rights of advowson were transferred to the Lord Chancellor.
In the 14th century, the nave was rebuilt, along with the tower and spire above the crossing. A western tower was added in the 15th century, with construction being completed in 1435. A chancel and porch to the north were also added in the 15th century. Restoration work took place in 1887. When whitewash and plaster were removed from the inside walls, wall paintings from the 15th century were revealed.
The Pubs of Wanborough
Wanborough has a fine selection of pubs and eating places for such a small village, not all of them in the centre of the village though.
The Cross Keys - http://crosskeyswanborough.co.uk/home
The New Calley Arms - https://en-gb.facebook.com/newcalleyarms
The Brewers Arms - http://www.brewers-arms.co.uk/
The Plough Inn - http://www.theploughinn-wanborough.co.uk/
The Burj Indian Restaurant - http://theburj.co.uk/